Time Integration, Characteristic Length, and Mass Scaling

A short presentation on the Explicit and Implicit time integration schemes which I use in my advanced LS-DYNA class is included here. Its a evolving document but the latest version is available for download.
Time Integration (PDF, 346 Kb)

Note: Fixed the corrupted PDF file. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Susheel Khanna says:

Hi,

If you check the formula of sound speed in shells given on page 22 of this documents, this has term 1 v^2, i think it should have been 1-v^2.

Kindly cross check

Regards,
    Susheel Khanna.

• amir says:

Hi Suri,

selective timestep?

I have already dyna 971 in use, how can I set up this feature?
    Is it a method to accelerate a calculation with different types of mesh sizes?

That means I can speed up a model let say 90% dominated by 1 micro s and 10% 0.2 micro s timestep. No more obligation to run the entire model with 0.2 micro s. Am I right?

If yes, wonderfull.

Is it for both smp and mpp, or there are some restrictions?

Sorry for too much questions

Regards
    Amir

• Suri Bala says:

Amir,

Selective mass-scaling can be invoked using the IMSCL parameter in *CONTROL_TIMESTEP. It is supported by both SMP and MPP.

Suri

• Suri Bala says:

Susheel,

Thanks for the correction. The new document reflects this (v1).

Suri

• Nihar says:

Hi Suri,

The pdf file is damaged, unable to open !

Regards,
    Nihar

• Amir says:

Hi Suri,

I didn´t see any difference with IMSCL and without.

Her is my input:

*CONTROL_TIMESTEP
    $$ DTINIT TSSFAC ISDO TSLIMT DT2MS LCTM ERODE MSIST
    0.000 0.900000 0 0.000 -2.000E-7
    0.000 0 -11
    *SET_PART_LIST_TITLE
    selective_time_step
    200075

Couls you please specify more the usage and impact of it.

Regards
    Amir

• Suri Bala says:

Amir,

For relatively low mass-scaled timestep, both should perform the same. You could try using 1e-6 and study the differences between the two which should show the significance of the selective mass-scaling.

Suri Bala

• Akram Abu-Odeh says:

Suri,

I tried to open this document (also save and then open) from the link provided.
    However, I got the ADOBE error

“The file is damaged and could not be repaired”.

Is there a special way of reading this document?

Thanks

Akram

• Prakash Jadhav says:

Dear sir ,
    Now i have started learning LS dyna on my own , how can i begin with , what all the basic things that i need to learn before begin with crash analysis and understanding the
    basic Fea for Simulation .
    Please guide me